Monday, January 3, 2011

Reading Goals for 2011

Inspired by the many lists I read over the weekend, I have set goals for the coming year. These are so vague that they will be of little use to anyone but me, but I’m putting them here so I can periodically check back and see how I’m doing.

All last year I wanted to re-read something by Austen and this year I’m determined to do it. Probably Mansfield Park.

My new Kindle already has ten free books on it and three are titles that have been on my wish list for ages: Lavender and Old Lace by Myrtle Reed, Through the Brazilian Wilderness by Teddy Roosevelt and The Judge by Rebecca West.

Dickens and Trollope are also on my radar for 2011. And I’ll intersperse my literary endeavors with some theology books and a few about World War II. Also, this may be the year I finally read Milton’s Paradise Lost.

Last of all, more than one blogger raved about Christian fiction writer, Athol Dickson. I will give him a try and hope against hope that he’s not too fluffy.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Great list! I'm excited about the Jane Austen challenge!

Carrie said...

Oh! I read an Athol Dickson book a few years back at the prompting of Sherry at Semicolon. She loved it and so did I! Different. But deep and fun.

the Ink Slinger said...

Neat list! That book by Roosevelt sounds like one I might have to check out myself! I'll be interested to hear what you think of Athol Dickson - like you, I'm rather wary of modern Christian fiction.

As C.S. Lewis said, "The world doesn't need more Christian writers. It needs more good writers, and composers, who are Christians." :)